Welcome to Year 5 - Miss North!
Welcome to Class 8's webpage!
Here you can find information about the topics we will be learning about over the first half term!
Our theme this half term will be
'Changes Through the Ages'
We are very excited to start the new school year!
In History we will cover:
- The Stone Age to the Iron Age
- The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain
- Britain's settlement by the Anglo-Saxons & Scots
- The Vikings and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the kingdom of England
THEME HOMEWORK AUTUMN TERM 2
To support and enhance learning please ensure that your child chooses and completes one of the following theme homework tasks:
- Make a model of a Stone Age tool using junk materials. Be as creative as you like! Write a paragraph about your tool e.g. What is it used for? How was it made? Who uses it? (Theme topic)
- Design a poster representing the life cycle of a mammal, amphibian or an insect.. (Science topic)
- Imagine that you’ve been whisked back into a mythical setting! Write a myth describing your journey and obstacles you face against the mighty Zeus! Remember to include all of the features you’ve been using in your literacy lessons. (Literacy topic)
Please return theme homework by: Friday 8th December 2017
In Literacy we will begin with a unit on instructions, analysing
In Literacy, we will begin with a unit on instructions. The children will look at the key features of instructional texts and develop a deeper understanding of imperative verbs, adverbs and technical vocabulary. The children will be working collaboratively to make play-dough to give to Class 1 and 2 and then write a set of instructions for others to follow! We will continue to read and analyse ‘Billionaire Boy’ by David Walliams. Our reading comprehension links to the development of inference and retrieval skills, as well as focusing on understanding complex vocabulary.
We will continue to practice our cursive joined up writing every week.
Follow the link below to practice your handwriting!
We will continue developing our comprehension and grammar skills with weekly SPaG and comprehension lessons. The children have daily spelling lessons and a weekly spelling test every Friday.
Spelling lists will be sent home on a Friday ready for the following weeks test.
Please ensure that you record when your child has read at home, in their reading record book. Thank you!
In Maths this half term we will be focusing on:
- addition and subtraction calculations using the formal written method using more than four digit numbers.
- finding factors of numbers.
- begin to use known multiplication facts to solve calculations.
- multiply and divide numbers by 10, 100 and 1000.
Please continue practicing your times tables at home, these are an essential part of all mathematics and in Year 5 it is expected that children know their times tables up to 12 x 12.
We practice these in class a few times a week through songs, games and challenges! There are some fantastic times tables songs on YouTube!
Please ensure that your child has their PE kit in school at all times.
Highfield PE kit is, white t-shirt, burgundy shorts and black pumps for indoor PE and either leggings or tracksuit bottoms and trainers for outdoor PE.
Please ensure your child has the appropriate clothing and footwear and that each item is labelled to avoid losing any items.
In PSHE, we will be continuing a unit on Friendship and Teamwork, ensuring that we can work effectively together and how to solve any issues within our teams effectively to be successful.
Homework will be sent home on a Wednesday and returned on a Monday.
Maths and Literacy homework will rotate between Week A and B.
Week A- Comprehension book homework along with a Online Manga Maths activity.
Week B- Mental Maths book homework along with a Bug Club Online reading activity.
Homework club will continue to run on a Thursday at lunchtime if any homework support is required.
Reading – please encourage your child to read at home each night and put a brief comment in their reading record books.
Thank you for your continuing support with homework this year, if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.
Other subject areas:
Science – Living things and their habitats.
RE – 'Is it better to express your religion in arts and architecture or in charity and generosity?'.
Indoor PE – Gymnastics
Outdoor PE – Rounders
Design Technology/Art - Stone Age art
Music – Jazz music
MFL - French
Our class newsletter can be found below!
Class 8 Newsletter Autumn 1
We are looking forward to a busy and exciting school year in Class 8!
Please ensure that you check our web page on a regular basis for updates and photographs!