Welcome to Class 1
Mrs Sweeney & Miss Parkar
'Come Meet the Classroom'
Happy New Year — Spring 1
We would like to welcome the children back after the Christmas break and to inform you of this half term’s exciting activities!
Our work this half term is based on the theme of Winter Wonderland, we will explore winter, snow and ice with lots of opportunities for science investigations. We will be learning about the different seasons as well as the Arctic and Antarctic and the type of animals who live there. We will also be looking at the Chinese New Year (January 25th 2020) and finishing the term by learning about the story of Frozen and all things icy!
We will begin our ‘Talk for Writing’ journey with the story of ‘Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do you hear?’ By Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle. The children will explore the story inside out, creating story maps to help them recite the story using actions and make changes to the story to create their own version.
Read Write Inc
Reception and Year 1 will continue to develop their phonic knowledge through ‘Read Write Inc’ sessions. Each child is due to be assessed and placed in the appropriate group to match their attainment. The reception children will be learning to hone their letter formation and independently attempt to write words/phrases such as ‘a dog sat on a log’ and ‘a rat in the shop’. The children will continue/begin RWI ‘ditty books’, which will help the development of this skill. It is paramount for your child’s learning that they are reviewing the Set 1 Speed sounds at home. These can be found on our class webpage. Set 2 Sounds will now begin to be taught. Please encourage ‘Fred in your head’, in which pupils sound out (decode) words in their head, before saying the blended word aloud, where possible.
Number: Addition and Subtraction
- Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 10.
- Read and write mathematical statements involving addition, subtraction and equals signs.
- Add and subtract one digit numbers to 10, including zero.
- Recognise 2D & 3D shapes
Children will be involved in focused activities with lots of opportunities within continuous provision to apply their knowledge and skills, through a visual, auditory and kinaesthetic learning style.
Here are some ideas that could support you during this term.
- Visit the library to find information books about the UK, Europe, The Arctic and Antarctica, as well as winter, ice, floating & sinking and melting.
- What is the weather like in the UK/Arctic/Antarctica?
- Which animals live in these countries/continents? What do they eat?
- Find stories and poems about different animals: which is your favourite? Why?
- Use natural materials to create a habitat for an animal from the UK in your garden; think about what you would need inside it.
- Draw a picture of your favourite Arctic or Antarctic animal; think about what materials you could use to recreate how you think it would feel to touch.
- Find pictures of Arctic/Antarctic animals on the internet using adult support.
Please ensure that your child brings in their book-bag every day with all their reading materials - book and reading record. Remember to write in their reading record when they have read so that they can make progress in earning their next reading badge!
Please ensure that your child returns their library book to school every Tuesday so that a new book can be chosen to take home and be shared with you.
P.E. kit is needed in school each week for our weekly Wednesday session. This half term is gymnastics.
If you wish to donate to class fund via Parent Pay, the donation amount this half term is £5. We will use this money to buy materials such as playdough ingredients to support the children’s learning.
Dates for your Diary –
Tuesday 21st January 2020 – Read Write Inc drop-ins for parents.
Wednesday 22nd January 2020 - Read Write Inc drop-ins for parents. (More information to follow.)
If you have any questions or require any further information please feel free to ask.
- A reminder that a voluntary contribution of £1.00 per week for our Reception Fund would be really appreciated. (£5 this half term) This will help to cover the costs of baking ingredients, extra food for snacks, food tasting etc. This can be paid via parent pay. Thank you for your support.
Please familiarise yourself with the information on the link below.
Support your child with Read Write Inc
Encouraging Growth Mindset
We hope right from the beginning we can establish a strong partnership between school and yourselves as this is fundamental for your child's ongoing progress.
Your child NOW needs a PE kit in school this half term.
They will need;
- White T-Shirt
- Burgundy Shorts
- Black Pumps
Please ensure all kit is clearly labelled and in a draw string bag.
Support your child with Read Write Inc
A reminder that a voluntary contribution of £1.00 per week for our Reception Fund would be really appreciated. This is payable through parent pay.